Sunday, July 27, 2008

Our Garden - a work in progress



We have 3 garden plots in our back yard, and this summer I finally got one of them ready to plant a garden. This is our first garden ever so we are keeping it simple. In June I planted carrots, zucchini, pumpkin, watermelon, tomatoes, and strawberries. You can see the tomato and strawberry plants that I bought. The rest I just planted the seeds. We won't get any strawberries this year because the squirrels or birds eat them before they are even ripe. So, next year I will cover them up a wire fence or something. Hopefully we will have lots of zucchini and pumpkin to make bread, cake, muffins, pies, etc. I will be happy if the tomato plants produce any tomatoes because one less tomato I have to buy at the store, the better.  The watermelon will be a bonus for the kids. As most of you know, I don't like watermelons. Next year I plan to plant in two of the garden plots. The other one still needs some work. 

Here is our garden now! Once we got into the hot weather of upper eighties and nineties, the plans just took off. There are tomatoes growing already. The carrots look flimsy and sparse, so we'll see what happens with them. Feel free to leave any gardening advice. This is all a learning experience for me. 


  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I need to post updated pics... Our little garden is looking pretty nice. Why are your tomato cages upside down?
-Tim

BLUEYEDBOYS said...

Wow, I can't believe how great your plants look after only a month! My advice is next year plant earlier (by a few months) an you'll get to enjoy your efforts longer.